Website Deployment Checklist: Is Your Drupal Site Ready to Launch?
Developing a Drupal website is a complex undertaking. From prototypes and coding to programming and testing, there are a lot of steps to complete and remembering all the details isn’t easy.
And yet, this attention is essential. For all the effort we put into building a world-class website, it’s all in vain if we don’t deploy the finished product properly on the live server. That’s where a deployment checklist comes in handy. It can help you verify that all of the standards are met and your web configurations are set properly.
At TA Digital, we’re happy to share this deployment checklist that will help ensure that you launch your Drupal website correctly and avoid technical snags:
- Ensure 404 (Page Not Found) and 403 (forbidden) pages are properly configured.
- Check if clean URLs are working.
- Ensure that all development and debugging modules are disabled/removed from production (e.g., Devel).
- Make sure XMLSitemap is configured properly.
- Verify that Robots.txt is in place.
- Double-check that all the test content and test users are removed.
- Disable all the unused modules.
- Make sure core and contributed modules are up-to-date with all new updates and security releases.
- Ensure that Drupal Cache is enabled.
- Verify that the error logs are cleaned up before the site launch and closely monitor the logs for one day to be sure there are no serious issues logged after the site is live.
- Disable user interface modules, such as Views UI and Rules UI.
- Ensure that Google Analytics is in place and use the correct account to track analytics.
- Check to make sure all the references to Dev and Test servers are removed and point to Live/Production servers.
- Verify that a Favicon for the website is configured properly.
- Ensure that meta descriptions and keyword tags are properly set and working for SEO.
- Check if the cross-browser functionality works in all the main/landing pages. It need not be pixel-perfect matching but should ensure that users don’t experience any problems. We recommend testing the website on all major and stable browsers, plus on a few iOS and Android devices.
- Make sure all the references to admin names and emails are configured correctly. Also check if admin/config/system/site-information has the correct details.
- Verify that the RSS feeds are working properly.
By following this list, you’ll not only reduce human errors during deployment, you’ll also ensure greater standardization and consistency throughout your organization’s process.
Explore Additional Resources
Learn how you can select the best Digital Experience platform for your business.
Our Acquia Certified Drupal experts specialize in helping you create intelligently personalized customer experiences.
GET HELP FROM OUR EXPERTS
Over the past 20 years, we have completed thousands of digital projects globally. We have one of the largest and deepest multi-solutions digital consulting teams in the world. Our proprietary processes and years of Digital Experience expertise have earned us a 97% customer satisfaction rating with our clients ranging from Global Fortune 1000 to Mid-Market Enterprises, leading educational institutions, and Non-Profits.
Contact us today for help if your organization with your next Drupal project.
About TA Digital
TA Digital is the only global boutique agency that delivers the “best of both worlds” to clients seeking to achieve organizational success through digital transformation. Unlike smaller, regional agencies that lack the ability to scale or large organizations that succumb to a quantity-over-quality approach, we offer resource diversity while also providing meticulous attention to the details that enable strategic success.
Over the past 20 years, TA Digital has positioned clients to achieve digital maturity by focusing on data, customer-centricity and exponential return on investment; by melding exceptional user experience and data-driven methodologies with artificial intelligence and machine learning, we enable digital transformations that intelligently build upon the strategies we set into motion. We are known as a global leader that assists marketing and technology executives in understanding the digital ecosystem while identifying cultural and operational gaps within their business – ultimately ushering organizations toward a more mature model and profitable digital landscape.
Recognized in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2019, and 2020 Inc. 5000 list as one of the most successful technology companies in the United States, TA Digital is pleased also to share high-level strategic partnerships with world class digital experience platform companies like Adobe, SAP and Salesforce and possess global partnerships with industry leaders such as Sitecore, Episerver, Elastic Path, BigCommerce, AWS, Azure and Coveo.