It’s Time to Move On: Replace Google Search Appliance
All of us have been talking about the end of the life of Google Search Appliance since it was announced in February 2016. Now, we have reached that point in time where we can’t get any new licenses! So whether you need it or not, whether you have a reason to or not, it’s time to look for an alternate solution to GSA. Even if it continues to exist, here are four key reasons I feel we need to move out from GSA and look toward something even better!
- Enhanced Search Features: Even today we can say Google is the guru for all the Search Practitioners, but their own product is not a look alike of Google
- Go to the Cloud: We are living in the cloud era, and GSA still needs a local hardware to run its instance
- Cost & Maintenance: In addition to the cost and overhead maintaining the physical boxes, Google Search Appliance is priced by the number of documents in your collections; as the amount of data and documents grows, so do your licensing costs
- Smart Search: Undoubtedly, GSA was one of specialized search solutions at its launch. Now, with machine learning and artificial intelligence being implemented everywhere, there are platforms which have outsmarted GSA.
Having thought about why we need to replace GSA, here are the high-level steps we can follow to migrate the search solution from GSA:
Things to Consider When Selecting a New Search Platform
There are many new tools and platforms available in the market currently, including Lucene/Solr Open Source. The complexity of the requirement will be the determining factor in selecting the right platform. If the requirements are simple basic search without much complexity and intelligence involved, then we can consider using Solr Open Source and build what is required. As the complexity of the requirement grows, there are many products in the market like Elastic Search, Search & Promote, and Coveo which you can configure and implement quickly without reinventing the wheel.
Some of the key things to consider before choosing your replacement search platform:
- Cloud hosting capability
- Document level security
- Features like relevancy setup, boosting, synonyms, etc.
- Reporting capabilities
- Search query performance and scalability
- Presentation layer components (search results, facets, etc.)
- Ease of setup
- Customization capabilities
- Cost and maintenance
With search being very critical to delivering the right customer experience and delivering relevant content for your site visitors, it may take a while to create a roadmap for your replacement search journey and choose the right platform.
TA Digital & Coveo Google Search Appliance Replacement Webinar.
To provide you with an opportunity to learn more about one great GSA replacement option. We have joined forces with Coveo to hold a webinar on October 4th. 2:00PM EST: Why use Coveo Search to replace Google Search Appliance?
Explore Additional Resources
Our organization assists you with improving your marketing strategies. Select the best Digital Strategy to boost your business.
Get Help From Our Experts
Over the past 20 years, we have completed thousands of digital projects globally. We have one of the largest and deepest multi-solutions digital consulting teams in the world. Our proprietary processes and years of Digital Experience expertise have earned us a 97% customer satisfaction rating with our clients ranging from Global Fortune 1000 to Mid-Market Enterprises, leading educational institutions, and Non-Profits.
Talk to one of our search experts today about how we can help take the pain out of replacing GSA.
Why TA Digital?
TA Digital is an innovative digital transformation agency, specializing in delivering the digital experience, commerce, and marketing solutions. For nearly two decades, we have been helping traditional businesses transform and create dynamic digital cultures through disruptive strategies and agile deployment of innovative solutions.